Sunday, April 11, 2010

Faces and Appearances


We tend to look at people and create an idea of who they are, within a few seconds, most of the time before they even open their mouths. It's that first impression that is so important in so many moments of our lives. As the saying goes: "You never have a second chance to make a good first impression."

I'm thinking of this now, because someone spoke to me in Arabic, then as I looked confused, they asked me in English where I was from, and then looked surprised and said "but you look Arabic!"

In Israel, everyone was speaking to me in Hebrew directly, and even the fact that I had a Lonely Planet guide in my hand didn't make them think I was a tourist. I went to a synagogue, and this girl sitting behind me naturally passed me a prayer book and pointed to the part of the service where they were... I could only smile and nod...

While in France a few years ago when I was taking care of 3 little girls, people would always ask me if I was their older sister... and I've lost count how many times I've been stopped on the street by people asking for directions. Ok, some of them were tourists, but some weren't!

In Italy, same thing, I had a guy actually not believe me that I was not Italian... and I don't even speak Italian!

In the US I had a roommate in college who was full blooded Navarro Indian... and people thought we were sisters everywhere we went. And some people have called me "Pocahontas" before and are certain I have Indian blood in me (which I don't btw).

Obviously in Brazil nobody thinks I'm out of place... and the same is true with Argentina and Uruguay.

So all of that got me thinking... I guess I have a pretty general face/features that can fit into a lot of different countries. I'm sure in Sweden I wouldn't look like a native, nor in Africa, but most places in-between seem to think I don't look much different than them.

The question I ask all of you is this: What's in a face? What makes a face interesting, or friendly, or "common". What constitutes a good "first impression"?

I was just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment