Monday, June 7, 2010

The grass is always greener...?

or is it?

Why do we always say that the grass is greener on the other side? Why do we always want something different than what we have? Why do we keep wanting more, and more and more, never satisfied?

I think part of it is just human nature. We have to aspire to something. We have to want to get somewhere, otherwise we'd end up depressed and useless, with nothing to do, because we wanted nothing.

That's a good thing, as long as it's within the boundaries of sanity and not "I want the moon, and I just have to have it!!" :) hehe



But maybe, just maybe... sometimes it may very well be that the grass really is greener on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Yearning is in human nature. It's one of those beautiful things that I think God created in us to reflect the longing for a true spiritual home while passing through this one. There's a great poem by T.S. Eliot--Hollow Men. It's actually kinda depressing, but I especially like part of the last verse:

    Between the idea
    And the reality
    Between the motion
    And the act
    Falls the Shadow

    Between the conception
    And the creation
    Between the emotion
    And the response
    Falls the Shadow

    Between the desire
    And the spasm
    Between the potency
    And the existence
    Between the essence
    And the descent
    Falls the Shadow

    "Meant to Live" by Switchfoot always struck me as a more upbeat and positive version of that. I also alluded to this in a poem I wrote in one of my posts. http://wandererfrombirth.blogspot.com/2008/05/6-months-sonra.html

    Miss talking with you. I hope you're enjoying life and achieving that perfect balance of poignant yearning and abundant, life-to-the-fullest living.

    ReplyDelete